GMGM addressed the media today. Here are some things that stuck out to me.
- The Caps will not be sellers. While that doesn’t trigger a Stanley Cup Parade on F Street, it is significant. This is the first time since 2003 that we won’t be selling off any assets at the deadline. Not really a shocker considering our play over the last few months and the mediocre play of the SE, but still very cool for this Caps fan.
- GMGM declined to comment on the Kolzig contract situation. But, it seems to me that they are not talking at all and will wait until after the season. I would think that Kolzig is not going anywhere. His play has been great lately, he has a winning record since December and Johnson's play has given him key rest time. If those two continue to play well over the next month, I think we will see the same situation next season.
- My thoughts:Our young goaltenders are not ready to make the jump yet. If Kolzig retired, we would have the 5 plus million a year to commit to a goaltender. However, signing a UFA like Huet would have to be a long-term deal most likely. With all the young talent that could be ready in 2-3 years, I don’t think GMGM wants to do that.
- Some great news on the young goaltenders. GMGM said the three (Neuvirth, Varlamov and Machesney) will all fight for a spot in Hershey next year.
- As Corey states, this will probably be the end for Cassivi. This is something I have always wondered; why do we have a thirty-something goalie starting in Hershey when we know he will never be in the NHL. Let’s give our young guys some time and experience. This is especially important for two European goalies that need to get used to North American hockey.
- Lastly, Clark is a few weeks away at least. Pothier all depends on how he feels and then some time for training